New Member Handbook
Welcome! This ever-evolving handbook was designed to help new members get the most out of joining the AMT community. Coming soon will also be monthly orientations for new members.
- AMT sends out regular billing, newsletters and direction communications to members. Please set up filters on your email so that things from @acemonstertoys.org do not get lost or go to spam.
- Read this post about how communications work at ATM.
- Join the Ace Monster Toys Slack Team.
- You have been automatically added to the member newsletter email list. (See note about filters.)
- We have credentials on the AMT Handshake page for logging into shared platforms.
- Help keep this wiki accurate and up-to-date. Make the next new member's life easier by editing the wiki.
What is expected of you as a member
- Pay your dues on time.
- Pay your bills on time.
- Contribute by doing one small task a month and participating in one big task or build a year (read more about types of volunteering, big and small).
- Stay aware of all the use policies about the space.
- Maintain the social contract as expressed in the Membership Agreement.
Your member profile
- We have a Member Directory designed to help you introduce yourself and connect with members. You will need to update your profile in the first week or so after joining.
- Your account will not be activated until you load a recent recognizable photo of your face to your profile.
- Learn more about the Member Directory
How billing works
- If you use the laser or large format printer, you will receive a monthly bill for that usage. Laser fees are calculated by firing time, whereas large format printer fees are determined by each square foot of paper used.
- Please pay your bills promptly. Bills are due by the 15th day after the bill was sent. Not paying your bills (or making arrangements with the treasurer) is considered breaking the Membership Agreement.
- Lockers and membership are handled on the website.
How certification works
We have several tools that require certification before use :
- CNC router - take the 5 hour intensive class. If you don't see the class on the schedule or are an experienced user who wants to test out, speak to the steward.
- Laser cutter - take the 101 class scheduled several times a month and pass the test.
- Band saw - take the class OR if you have experience with this tool request certification from one of the the shop certifiers via Slack or email (email@example.com).
- Table saw - take the class OR if you have experience with this tool request certification from one of the the shop certifiers via Slack or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Jointer - take the class OR if you have experience with this tool request certification from one of the the shop certifiers via Slack or email (email@example.com).
- Planer - take the class OR if you have experience with this tool request certification from one of the the shop certifiers via Slack or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- 3D printers - take the class, scheduled every two weeks. Slack a message on #3D Printing if you can't make it to the class.
How trash and cleaning works
- AMT does not have trash service. While co-working has the capacity for small trash (wrappers, etc.), none of the shops or the laser have that capacity. You need to pack out your big waste materials. There are trash bag dispensers in every room to make this easy.
- Please clean up after yourself. While we do have a cleaner who dusts and mops floors every once in a while, we rely on members for day-to-day tidying.
- Leave it better than you found it.
How to get / give training
- Classes at AMT are held by volunteers.
- If you are interested in a class not on the schedule, find two or three other people who also want to learn it and contact the volunteer teacher to see if they will give a class.
- You can also ask if a more experienced person would be willing to let you shadow while they do the thing.
- To teach a class, contact the steward or the president and they will help you schedule and promote what you would like to teach.
- AMT members have unlimited guest privileges.
- You are responsible for all your guests and making sure they follow the Membership Agreement and other rules.
- You must be here when your guests are here (no leaving them in the space).
- Do not give guests the building door code.
- Guests MUST sign a release of liability before doing anything here ... even logging into the wifi.
- Minors must have a release signed by a parent or guardian.
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Well-behaved dogs are welcome.
How Storage and Tools Works
- You can rent storage (see all the ways members can rent storage)
- You can only store your projects / materials in the designated areas (Basic Member Storage).
- If you need to let something big dry overnight, work with the steward to find a good place for very short-term storage.
- Always let people know if you have to leave something out. (Slack message AND a note on the project). It is considered good form to let people know before you do it, not after. And mind the event and class schedules please.
- Read the details here:
How to lose your privileges
Current policy around warning, suspensions and revocations is under development. In the meantime, here are the basic guidelines: