06/05/2017 Board Meeting Minutes

From Ace Monster Toys Wiki
(Redirected from Board June 5, 2017)

Agenda

Add your topics here. Please provided links to any materials or documents needed so that participants can prepare:

Format:     Topic description-Is vote needed?- Presenter - Time in minutes - links

  1. Budget Game - Discuss format specified vs Reality - Crafty - 35 min.
  2. 2017/18 Goals - Goal Worksheet + Survey Results - Group - 40 min.
  3. Election Update - Renee - 5 min. (tentative)
  4. Financials - no vote - Kat - 20 min

Please note the the officers will have a SOO report to the board by end of the week (ish).



Attendance

Attending

Rachel Sadd/Crafty Rachel, Rachel McConnell/Shiny Rachel, Pierre Grandin, Chris O’Donnell, Jacob LaBay, Marc Johnsen, Kat Smith

Not Attending

n/a

Taking Notes

Renee Green

Minutes

(1) Budget Game

Discuss format specified vs Reality - Crafty - 5 min.

CR: We had a grand plan to have a budget committee with equal representation from officers, board members, stewards, and members, but the board has not stepped and, to a lesser degree, neither have stewards. Instead of trying to point fingers, is there a way we can make this work?

SR: When are board elections?

KS: It’s too late. This is what this board asked for, so the board should want to participate.

CR: Being on the budget committee lets you decide how the AMT resources are spent!

SR: Ok, I’m guilted in KS: (reviews current budget committee members)

JL: I can do all 3 sessions

CR/KS: (Yay!)

CO: I can do June 17

CR: Looks like we just have a couple Steward spots to fill on Game 2 (June 17)


(2) 2017/18 Goals

Goal Worksheet + Survey Results - Group - 20 min.

CR: An example of a measureable goal: Increase female membership to 20% (extremely sophisticated demographic tally: ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| |||||, 25/149 ≈ 17%)

CR: What about POC outreach? Maybe we should measure our demographics?

CO: That might get weird

CR: How about if we set a goal to outreach to more POC/diverse groups, maybe 6 outreach efforts/month?

JL: Maybe invite outside groups to join?

CR: There’s a church down the road that hosts community events that has a CNC sign that is falling apart, and maybe we could set up an internship/partnership where we could train their people to make a new one for free.

CR: What about the “more leaders” goal? What’s a goal beside “we want to be more fully-staffed”?

CR: Maybe we should try to get 90% staffed? 80% staffed?

SR: I think it’s reasonable to have a goal to be 100% staffed, but it’s the “how to get there” that we need to work on.

CR: I suggest one recruitment event per month to the outside world.

CR: How about “stronger community”?

CR: We could have a weekday party where people show off their projects

CO: Elevate it to the “salon” level! CR: And if this gets traction, maybe we could make a weekend thing for the people who can’t make weekdays

CR: How do we measure the strength of the community? Blog posts?

CO: We need a new Eye-Fi camera set-up

CR: Weekly meeting attendance

Group: Slack activity, door logs

RG: Has anyone actually defined what they mean by “stronger community”?

CO: More summer BBQs!

CR: More parties!

RG: Project speed dating!

PG: A group build for Maker Faire

CR: A build-along

SR: Build-alongs are easier to set up than group builds, so every other month is a reasonable goal, and I would be willing to host one.

CR: What about the “streamlining” goal? Jacob wanted to pick a few processes and do some mapping to see how they could be more efficient

CR (reading through love survey answers): automatic billing! Clean up IT!

SR: The Eye-Fi fits into this

RG: What about Instagram?

CR: (adds to her notes) Back to processing mapping: pick one process once a month to pick apart and see where we could do better. This seems more like an operations/officer thing, and we get together on a near-weekly basis to co-work, but we could really use some board support.

CR: Last one! Documentation? Define desired documentation for tools/area/programs

PG: Revisit wiki pages

RG: Define documentation standards

(3) Election Update

Renee - 5 min. (tentative)

RG: 4 people nominated themselves to be full members and we have 2 nominations to the board (the incumbents)

CO: I will commit to talking to 3 people about joining the board

(4) Financials

no vote - Kat - 20 min

KS: We’re down $5k for the month.

CR: We had a planned overage of $3300 when we made the budget, so we don’t expect to be in the black, but we have stopped spending for this fiscal year, except for rent.

KS: We will be able to pay 12X rent!

CR: TL;DR: we’re in the red for this year, and for full details, see the full report on the AMT handshake page

CR: To end on a high note, last year’s income was $68k, and now it’s $91k, so even though our spending is high, our growth is in line! Please note the the officers will have a SOO report to the board by end of the week (ish).