Board May 1, 2017
- 1 Agenda
- 2 Attendance
- 3 Minutes
- 3.1 (1) Warm Up: AMT Mission, vision and values... what do they mean to you?
- 3.2 (2) How to solicit Feedback
- 3.3 (3) Brainstorming the 2017/2018 FY Strategy
- 3.4 (4) The Budget Game
- 3.5 (5) Concern: using up volunteers.
- 3.6 (6) Reminder: we still have open officer positions
Add your topics here. Please provided links to any materials or documents needed so that participants can prepare:
Topic description-Is vote needed? - Presenter - Time
- Warm Up: AMT Mission, vision and values... what do they mean to you?
- How to solicit Feedback - Presentation/Training - 10 min. - Crafty
- Brainstorming the 2017/2018 FY Strategy - Brainstorming Exercise- Crafty/Team
- The Budget Game - Presentation and Brainstorming - 10 min - Optional if needed - Crafty
- Homework: Come up with as many projects tools and wonderful things you think the org shoud spend it's money on in the next fiscal year. Bring a laptop so we can fill out as many of these forms as possible.
- Concern: using up volunteers. No vote or action item at this time. Shiny Rachel, 5 min
- Reminder: we still have open officer positions. Brainstorm on possible actions, no vote. Shiny Rachel, 5 min
Rachel Sadd (Crafty Rachel), Chris O’Sullivan, Mark Johnsen, Jacob LaBay, Rachel McConnell (Shiny Rachel), Pierre Grandin
(1) Warm Up: AMT Mission, vision and values... what do they mean to you?
Words that came up: community, empowering members, innovation skills dry, collaboration technical social arrangement, formal, skillsharing, learning, positive, teaching, crunchy, inclusive, giving back, respect, hippy
(2) How to solicit Feedback
Presentation/Training - 10 min. - Crafty
(Crafty presents slides)
CR: Generally speaking, what is good feedback?
Pierre: inspires change
CR: what do you think the effect of bad feedback is?
RG: changes people don’t like
CR: feedback is communication in a relationship, so getting good feedback = healthy relationship
(3) Brainstorming the 2017/2018 FY Strategy
Brainstorming Exercise - Crafty/Team
CR: Previously, I chose goals based on what I was willing to do, but now I would like us to come up with goals as a team based on what our group is willing to do. We need to have goals before the budget committee sits down to plan for the coming fiscal year. I suggest this framework: Decide broad directions! Fill those directions with what they mean to each of us (there are no bad ideas) Edit down to what we love best Chooooooooossse (what to develop and refine no later than the June 6th meeting)
CR: But you can choose goals by whatever method you like.
CR: What do you guys things broad directions are?
group: Stay alive/maintain, grow, shrink, move (grow+)
CR: Fill the buckets, stay alive
Pierre: what’s necessary, low spending
SR: “move” is more of a stretch goal
CR: What about “grow”?
Jacob: more members, more tools Pierre: challenge
CR: more services?
MJ: more structure, bureaucracy, work, more leaders
RG: more diversity
CR: what about “shrink”?
CO: fewer members
CR: fewer tools
SR: less budget, fewer problems
CR: fewer classes
CR: where do you feel we are as an org?
Group: somewhere between “sucks ass” and “floating at chin level”
CR: how about “maintain”?
CO: more officers RG: stronger community
CR: less change
CO: streamlining, remove the complexity so its easier to do that same thing
CR: what does “moving” mean to you?
MJ: 20k sq ft
SR: metal working/hot metal
CR: teaching kitchen
SR: even more leaders
CR: more contribution, more money
CO: more roof access
CR: safer conditions?
CO: expected fluctuations in membership (brainstorm results photographed)
(4) The Budget Game
Presentation and Brainstorming - 10 min - Optional if needed - Crafty
Homework: Come up with as many projects tools and wonderful things you think the org should spend its money on in the next fiscal year. Bring a laptop so we can fill out as many of these forms as possible.
CR: (reviews how the budget committee game works: people see where money comes from and figures out how to allocate money toward a sustainable budget)
(5) Concern: using up volunteers.
No vote or action item at this time. Shiny Rachel, 5 min
SR: Volunteers are hard to get and it has been brought to my attention that there are some volunteers that were initially enthusiastic, but who got frustrated with organization and quit. This may fall into the “bad data” category, but I want to make everyone aware of this.
CR: I’m concerned with the source, since I’ve followed through before, but this is still a concern
(6) Reminder: we still have open officer positions
Brainstorm on possible actions, no vote. Shiny Rachel, 5 min
SR: I propose listing an opening for the most-stressed open position in the newsletter that comes out tomorrow
CR: Keep it really brief
CO: membership coordinator?
SR: Anyone want to write a description before 7pm tomorrow? No one? Ok, I’ll do it and send to #governance, let’s please all have a look by 6pm