02/2018 Board Meeting Minutes

From Ace Monster Toys Wiki
(Redirected from Board February 2018)

Add your topics here. Please provided links to any materials or documents needed so that participants can prepare:

Format: Topic description - Is vote needed? - Presenter - Time in minutes - (links)​

  1. Officer/Org work time - No vote needed - Officers - 15 min
    • time designated for org tasks that increase board involvement in org functions and visibility in community
  2. Officer Stipends - Is vote needed? - Crafty - 15 min - Officers Page
    • What can we do to increase the treasurer and secretary stipends? From a sustainability perspective I think we need to do better than under minimum wage.
  3. Welcome New Board Members - No vote -Group - 40 min - links
    • Discussion of board expectations and responsibilities
    • New people QA + active onboard activities
  4. Scheduling the next full member vote - No vote - Pierre - 10 min
    • Yo, what are we doing with provisional conversion?
  5. Project Crowbar - Is vote needed? YES - Crafty - 5 min - (links)
    • Discuss representation

 

Attendance

Attending

Pierre Grandin, Nicole Scherm, Rob Froetscher, Chris O'Sullivan, Kat Smith, Chris Constantine

Not Attending

n/a

Taking Notes

Renee Green

Notes

(1) Officer/Org Work Time

Officers - 15 min

Monthly ​time designated for org tasks that increase board involvement in org functions and visibility in community

Officer/Org time accomplished via Happy Hour

(2) Officer Stipends

Crafty - 15 min

What can we do to increase the treasurer and secretary stipends? From a sustainability perspective I think we need to do better than under minimum wage.

RS: As an org, we have to decide if we're going to grow or shrink. There are two key barriers to growth: 1) leadership + work of running the biz and 2) sq ft.

PG: Also growth is dependent on the building.

RS: Also I'm eventually not going to do this job, and Kat is going to go dark, and Renee is going to teach, so we have a sustainability issue. If we're going to grow, we need 2 things: consistent leadership and square footage. Don't have to be done at the same time, but I think we should consider raising stipends to more adequately compensate some of the positions that are lacking in consistency. Right now, our leadership team is based on luck, but if we could compensate the board and officer roles better, then we could bring in more and better candidates. Does this sound like a good idea?

PG: Yes

RS: The minimum we can do is $30 (based on 1099 rates)

KS: You should really budget ~$65

RS: Let's first ecide if this is a good idea before we talk numbers

PG: Is this for this fiscal year, or next?

RS: Both. Otherwise we are out of people for 9 months.

NS: I think this is a good idea

RS: Of course, I would cost less too, since I currently only do some of my hours at my "friend" rate, and my extra hours are at my "contract" rate. If we have more people to take over some of the work I've been doing to cover, then I can drop the "contract" hours. If we don't do this, then we cannot grow the org.

RF: What is it about a new member that increases the workload?

RS: More people = higher attrition = more member management hours. Also requires more offerings to continue to attract more members.

CO: Expanding the space is definitely something we need to do.

RS: I can do the work to look at the budget to propose cuts so we can afford to raise stipends. We can even dip into the savings account, because we always have 3 months of expenses.

KS: I would like to request that I join the interviews because, at that price point, we could find people that don't actually know what they're doing

CC: Don't we have a treasurer and a bookkeeper?

KS: Yes, those are the same person, since 2014

RS: Which has created a bit of conflict of interest.

RS: So I need a vote?

CO: Vote to entertain the idea of paying a treasurer more? (ie RS does research)

Board votes unanimously for Rachel to research how to adapt the budge to pay a treasurer more

(3) Welcome New Board Members

Group - 40 min

  • Discussion of board expectations and responsibilities
  • New people QA + active onboard activities

Board discusses procedures (documented elsewhere in this wiki) over dinner

RS: Not currently documented: State Of the Org (SOO) report. Which we are working to document.

(4) Scheduling the Next Full-Member Vote

Pierre - 10 min

Yo, what are we doing with provisional conversion?

PG: We haven't done one in a long time

RS: That's being it is an awful, work-heavy thing to do. I propose we pick an end date and set that as our deadline. What we do now is people dominate themselves, then the convince people to all vote at the same time. 

RG: Didn't the bylaws get updated?

PG: That is under legal review, and Jacob (LaBay, outgoing board member) is on that. (agree to message Renee offline)

RS: So what do we want to do?

PG: We need an action to draft something this week?

RS: Do we want to do it? And do we want to do it in 30 days? 60 days? 90 days?

PG: We should do something in the next week. We will draft it, and then vote it in at the next board meeting.

NS: And have all the paperwork ready. 

RF: How do we decide who will actually do a thing that is decided at a meeting, like this?

PG: I will take lead on this, and Nicole is really good at this. 

(5) Project Crowbar

Crafty - 5 min

Discuss representation

RS: (Crafty updates CC and RF on the background info for Project Crowbar)

Meeting adjourned