AMT Express 6.0 - 8.1.13
Welcome to the AMT Express, the regular newsletter providing you with a quick look at what is going on at AMT.
Happy New Year
We hope everyone had a fantastic holiday season. This is the time of year that folks are on the fence looking at the year we just closed as well as the year ahead. I think we can all agree we have had a good year. Membership continues to grow and programs continue to expand. At the tail end of last year Chris stepped down as President in order to focus on the very successful Hacker Scouts program. We welcomed Shoshana to the AMT Board in december as well. We also have a few new members to welcome as of the last general meeting (Hi, Lance, Chris and Adam).
Discussion of new spaces, new equipment and new ways to carry forward the growth and goodness experienced in 2012 continues. We are also seeking a new president (please see Please see http://wiki.acemonstertoys.org/2012_Special_Election for details).
More Space, More Better
We all want to move… and get more space for more projects. Alas the project has hit a snag as we were not a good fit for the last space we applied for. We were all quite disappointed. But efforts continue not only to find a new space but to make our current space more usable - it will be our home for at least the next couple of months. Effort to make our current space are even already under effect — persons unknown have created new layout upstairs that allows for more workspace! This is very much a step in the right direction. Please look for more communication over the next few week on the proposed steps that will move us forward and into a space we deserve.
In the mean time are YOU interested in helping drive growth! Or just ensuring that the culture and projects go in the right direction?? If so we are soliciting your participation both in working groups and in meetings! Announcements with details will go out as things develop and of course copious entertaining notes can be found on the wiki…
Projects, Programs and News
- Instructables 10 - SO VERY CLOSE. We have 8 Instructables posted to the guide and several more in the works.
- Hacker Scouts- As always HS is seeking mentors either on a one-time or on-going basis. Contact Chris if you are interesting in learning more — training available for prospective mentors. hackerscouts.acemonstertoys.org
Upcoming AMT Events
- CNC Router Training - 1/8
- Arduino/AVR/Microcontroller Meetup - 1/9
- Hacker Scouts: Guild meeting - 1/14
- Sewing and textile workshop - 1/15
- Rasperry Pi Meetup - 1/17
- Monthly Cleaning and Organizing - 12/15
- Hacker Scouts: Open Lab - 1/20
- Hacker Scouts: Guild meeting - 1/21
- Arduino/AVR/Microcontroller Meetup - 1/23
- Hacker Scouts: Guild meeting - 1/28
- Sewing and textile workshop - 1/29
Weekly Meeting every Thursday 1:30pm
Upcoming Maker/Creative/Geek Events
- Make:SF @ Tech Liminal - 1/8
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) - Free First Tuesdays
- Rock Paper Scissors Collective - DIY Screenprinting - 1/12
- Art Murmur - 2/1
- Exploratorium - Free First Wednesdays - 2/6
Equipment Summaries and Announcement
The best source of all equipment related information is always the wiki equipment pages.
- Assorted hand tools - still have some
- Mosaic 3D Printer - New, fully functional and available for general use!
- AmScope 3x to 90x stereo microscope - fun working good
- Band saw - New blade installed, working (please check out the wiki re: use)
- CNC Router (Chipper)- Working, requires knowledge and training - Workshops available. Please see the events calendar.
- DIY Book Scanner - Needs a bit of work
- Drill press - Working
- Dust Collection - Working Electronics assembly station - working
- Epson 9600 high-resolution color printer - Dead but may be coming back to life. Rumor has it John will be back to install a new print head.
- HP 350c format printer - Atom has provided a new belt and cartridges and it may be on it's way to working… If we decided to scavenge it, it requires reimbursement for parts first.
- Eye-fi Camera - Working
- Jointer - working
- Laser Cutter - Working, though the meter is hit and miss. Please be careful and track your time!
- Makerbots - Back in the shop. Status unknown
- Mini Mill - (non cnc) Unknown
- RT3052 - what the hell is that
- Radial Arm Saw - working
- Roomba - Minor repair completed…. but we still need to learn to turn it on.
- Router table - good to go
- Singer 401A Slant-o-matic - Down, going to back to the shop next week. Please don't use it if you don't know how to sew.
- Singer locksitch machine - New(ish) - Available for use after training (see Crafty) Workshop available. Please see the events calendar.
- Juki Serger - New (ish) - Avlailable for use after training (see Crafty) Workshop available. Please see the events calendar.
- Table Saw - working and somebody made a cool sled
- Textiles - Needs more tool hanging stuff and bins
- Welder - still sitting on the shelf getting dusty
- Wood lathe - all is well
- Z-corp Printer - Can somebody chime in on where were are with this? Is it time to give up the ghost?
- Zen Toolworks CNC (Guido)- This has a brand spanking new enclosure (thanks Atom) and is now located downstairs in it's fully working state
Back Issues of AMT Express